Saturday 2 March 2013

Wait...What???

So here's my dilemma. I'm in my first year at university, in biochemistry, and heading towards a Bachelor of Science with Honours. And I hate it. There was a lot of tears and frustration before I finally came to accept the fact that I can switch. My plan right now is to take a duo major of Mathematics and Classics. And I am supper excited to take classics! As an aspiring author (remind me why I ever thought biochemistry was the way to go?) I think am I going to find this subject very interesting. Lots of my favourite books incorporate Greek and Roman mythology and ancient history so I'm hoping I will love the class too!

Anyway this is my problem. The science kids at my school have a very big "we're better than the arts kids" mentality. It's like this huge deal if someone is in arts because apparently that makes them less smart. Personally, I find this disgusting. I haven't really told any of my friends in science that I'm switching yet. Mainly because I had a dream that I told them and they all stopped talking to me. And also because when I told one girl that I was switching to math (well it was half of the truth, I chickened out, okay!) she said rather plainly "Well, at least it's not arts."

Um... excuse me? This is why I was so against the idea of switching programs for the longest time. I was scared people would view me differently. I still am! Why does taking arts classes make me any less smart than when I was taking science classes? It's not like I'm failing out of my science classes, I just hate them. And trust me it is not easy to do well at something you hate.

I do not believe that how smart a person is should be determined by what classes they take. There are all different types of smarts and just because someone doesn't like what you like, or isn't as good at something as you, does not give you the right to judge them. I find it so frustrating how judgemental people can be. Have any of you had to deal with issues like this?

TTFN <3
-Dare

P.S. On the subject of mythology and ...books (when am I ever not talking about books!) I thought I'd recommend my top 5 favourite books that are based off of Greek and/or Roman mythology for those of you who share this interest with me.

1) Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini
2) Abandon by Meg Cabot
3) The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter

4) Nobody's Princes by Esther M. Friesner

5) Darkness Becomes Her by Kelly Keaton

These are not my top five books overall, just to be clear, but they are all awesome books that I highly recommend! If you know of any other's, feel free to let me know! I'm always looking for good books to read!


No comments:

Post a Comment